The Pearl Rating Systems introduce three stages of certification:
- Design Rating is awarded upon completion of design and provides recognition of the sustainable measures incorporated during the design phase. The Design Rating is only valid until construction is complete, at which time projects will proceed to the Construction Rating.
- Construction Rating is awarded upon completion and verification that the construction activities on the project have achieved the design intent and have incorporated the measures awarded in the Design Rating. The Pearl Construction Rating is valid for two years, at which time projects will proceed to the Operational Rating.
- Operational Rating is unique to the Pearl Rating System. The Pearl Operational Rating verifies the operational performance of a development to ensure the design's intent has achieved its stated objectives.
There are four types of rating systems:
- Pearl Community Rating System
- Pearl Building Rating System
- Pearl Villa Rating System
- Pearl Operational Rating System